Filter press is a pressure filters designed to de-water chemically conditioned sludge on a batch basis using mechanically applied pressure to achieve high solid content sludge cakes. The filter press consists of a series of parallel plates each dressed with a filter cloth and rigidly held together in a structure frame. The filter plate is placed between the stationary and moving platens.
Advantages of filter presses:
- High performance in terms of dryness (30 to 80%)
- Simplicity, robustness, reliability
- Low operating costs
- Very low consumption of energy and reagents
- Greatly reduced labor requirements
- Adaptable to changes in production, concentration, conditioning requirements.
- Standardization of automatic filter presses. Automatic operation up to 24 h
- Adaptable to different effluent treatment methods: physical-chemical, biological, electro flocculation, etc.
- Excellent capture rate for suspended matter
- Low maintenance costs
- High level of flexibility in operation